It's Friday morning and there was a complete runthrough of the skills competition that will start tomorrow night. They brought in a college team to do all the skills and they were pretty good. They had Scott Oak practicing his announcing with his sidekick who I can't remember who he was.
The two events that I am overseeing are the fastest skater and the hardest shot. I suggested they call it the fastest shot since they were measuring speed. That didn't go over too well. The fastest skater went well, but I'm going to have to be on my toes for the real thing tomorrow night as it involves switching the eyes to different inputs on the timer. They use the same eye for start and finish and the skater skates through the other skater's eye on the way round so the right pulse has to get to the right channel and ignore the passage throught the other skater's eye. And at the end I have to keep the display up until they tell me to get set for the next pair. So if you see it screw up, chances are it's my fault.
When we tested the radar gun for the hardest shot, the data didn't show up on the display board. Now I take this one to heart as I designed and built the interface processor that changes the radar gun protocol to the display protocol. And on top of that I have Brendan Shanahan giving me the evil glare when it didn't work. Lots of concern, but in the end the guy who set the gun up had the wrong setting. The retesting on the hardest shot worked good after that.
So I'm pretty well done with the equipment for the day. I am just hanging out in the rink like any rink rat would . I'm actually waiting for a rep from the host broadcaster to work out some data feed issues from my equipment to his. I thoink he's on afternoon shift since he's not here.
We have more testing tomorrow in preperation for the show which I think goes to air around 7pm. My camera will be working overtime for that one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment