Thursday, January 27, 2011

long day





Today was a great day to be at the rink, but it was long. I managed to find a spot in the NHL production office to set up and test all my timing gear. I'm not sure the rest of the crew new what to make of me with my timing boards lighting up the room. The office is interesting in that just about anyone who is connected to the broadcast comes through there at some point. There's the guys from VERSUS, CBC, and RD something. The french tv crew. Scott Oaks from CBC was in several times getting briefed on stuff he was doing.Ya gotta like an office with a beer cooler in the back. I didn't have any during the day but brought home a couple to relax with. It's bud light but it's still sorta beer. How much lighter can american beer be.

The picture of the stage section is the crew getting set for the team picking tomorrow. Also the Canadian Tenors are singing at the game. So I guess the stage will be used for them as well.

The picture in the penalty box is basically my office for the weekend. I'll be running the timer for the fastest skater, and feeding data to the broadcast center from both the speed timer and the hardest shot. I kinda threw a wrench into their Hardest Shot competition. I said it wasn't the hardest shot but the fastest shot. It was sorta like" I know but we call it the hardest shot ". I guess even the guy who wrote the software and built the hardware for the competition doesn't carry any weight.

Tomorrow we do a dry run at 9 am. That gives us all day to tweek stuff before the draw. Stay tuned for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ken:

I'm Kate Rutherford with CBC Radio in Sudbury here. Would like to set up an interview with you for today.
Please call ASAP 705-688-3227.
Thanks!