Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday at the Mealey



Today was an interesting day and for most of our kids it was a new type of race.They started the day with a Super G run, which wasn't anything new but the route down the hill was a bit different and they threw in a jump which was a bit intimidating for anyone who hadn't seen it before. You could really tell who had done the speed camp training where they teach you to have confidence in the jumps. Thanks to our tuning guy, as opposed to our timing guy, we got some good picture today of the jump area.
After the Super G race they ran a Super combined which meant the racers has to change their mind set from speed to technique between runs. It's not an easy thing to do as shown by the Olympic version where Lindsay Vonn crashed on her Slalom run. Since the calculation of results for the Super combi takes a bit of manual labour, the results won't be out until tomorrow. I'll post the results tomorrow as they come in.
Rumour has it that Mike Walker and I have developed a nick name of sorts.People are calling us the Dream Team of timing. I don't really think that we warrant that kind of attention, but we do like to add as many bells and whistles as possible. Anyone can do a start and a stop to time a race, but if you can add some interesting side effects such as interval timing and remote display boards it really gives the race some character. And it's not that hard to do. Being an Electrical Engineer does help at times.
I've added two pictures today. The lower one shows Trevor coming over the jump doing it right. He has good form just like his training in Huntsville. The top picture shows how not to do it. The racer is unknown but you get the idea. Tomorrow is a relatively easy day with two runs of GS. I'll put the results up as soon as I can.

No comments: