I commented in my last post that knowing not to lead out with a certain leg is good for your start. I sit here in the evening watching the alpine race starts at the Olympics and shudder at every start. If you have ever done a start at our club, you know that once the racer is throught the start, you can pull the gate back in position ready for the next racer. I always wondered why when Swiss Timing ran the timing at a race they didn't pull the start wand back in position until the racer is set in position. By watching the starts I think I figured it out. First, Swiss Timing uses their own start wands that are not approved by FIS. How they get away with it I'll never know. But as the racer starts you can see that as soon as he touches it, it springs open, which goes against the FIS specs totally. I watched a youtube video from Wengen where there was actually a delay from when the wand popped open to when the racer actully moved forward. It seems the Swiss are above FIS.
So did the results accurately reflect what actually happened on the hill. I have my doubts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment